Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Hussain Sab's Fiat

My only ride in Husain Sahebs first car, a FIAT, was from Kunika-Chemould Art Center, C. Place to my Gallery Chanakya in Yashwant Place, Chanakyapuri in February 1969. He had painted his car with horses and women, his favourite subjects and called it Art on Wheels. He was a legend even then. Later on he gave this car to his good friend Ram Kumar who used to stay at Mathura road.

I also had the pleasure of seeing "Uski Roti" with him at Regal Cinema, sometime the same year. For his speed and energy, the film was very slow. After 15 minutes,he went to the lu and never came back. Over the next three decades, I had very interesting & rewarding experiences with the Maiestro. The best was on September 19, 1975 at the time of his 60th birthday exhibition at Gallery Chanakya, New Delhi. We all were waiting to wish him happy b.d. with wine and cheese. Later in the evening his son Shamshad comes with a beautiful letter addressed to me... Imagine our disappointment... more wine and cheese which was a novelty... During those days, everybody, all the artists went for rum & coke... Life goes on... My friend, my mentor, Husain is creating masterpieces in the presence of His LORD AND MASTER now, I have no dought. He has gone on a long journey with a long brush with charm and dignity. Alvida Husain Saheb, Alvida.

No comments:

Post a Comment